Sunday, June 9, 2024

We're back! #tl008

 Dyke exploration
#tl008

 

I know it's been a while and a lot has happened but we are BACK!!!
We have been walking a lot and now I slowly started picking up cycling again.
unfortunatley, our cycliong journey will not include my cat anymore [she just not comfortable anymore on the bike].

So, after getting some stuff from the store I actually wanted to go to Hernen to a street market with life music. However this market turned out to be on sunday [unlike what the internet said] so I turned to the road I knew that would lead towards the dike.

It was really windy and the weather was okay [not great] but I had a amazing time!
I just love exploring ♡ and seeing the nature of this beautifull country.
So, I started cycling and strugling against the wind I came across this beautifull shrine about the second world war. 

"during the war violance of 1940-1945 eight people cave their lives. 7 of them inhabitans of Niftrik and 1 from Nijmegen. Seven died during the accident bombing that took place on 1-9-1944 at the bridge of Niftrik. One died as a soldier at the front on the Grebbeberg. Another 80 people lost their homes on 10-05-1940 due to the dutch army burning down any building that could be seen above the dyke, including the church. People wanted to prevent the germans to use these tall buildings to shoot the dutch atmy line at Ravenstein. During this tragedy one third of the peacefull Maasdorp went up in flames"

I had no idea this had happened and was really taken aback. I love that this place is made to remember! freedom isn't cheap and we should cherish it.
Their was also this awesome metal wind vane that looked like feathers or something. It was amazing.
After staying a while I turned back to cycle home as it was getting late.




 

 

TRIP DATA
time 60 minutes - speed 14 km/h - distance 8 km

OVERVIEW

unavailable right now, sorry

 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment