Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Midzomeravond Wandeling #el02

Midzomeravond
#EventLog 2

Hellow, fellow Wanderers ✋

This one felt... strange for some reason.
And honestly, it took me quite a while to figure out how to put it into words for you guys.

Before we get into it, I hope you're enjoying the new layout and vibe of the blog! If you have any suggestions, things you miss in my logs, or something you'd like to know... just ask!
But for now...
Let's get into Event Log #2! πŸ₯Ύ

Three Weeks Later...

So, we survived the Mega Wandel Marathon in relatively good shape.
It had been hard. It had been long. But somehow, it had also felt manageable.
And only three weeks later, it was already time for the
Midzomeravond Wandeling in Eindhoven.
This time:
20 km.
And going into it, I was actually feeling really strong and confident.
I'd walked 20 km multiple times by now, both during training and at the previous event. I knew I could cover the distance.
Maybe I was feeling a
little too confident?
Yeah...
I think so. πŸ˜…

Did I Mention the Heat? ☀️

At the time, we were right in the middle of a major heatwave.
Temperatures were reaching around
34–38°C, with high humidity, and quite a few marathons and other events were being cancelled because of the conditions.
The Midzomeravond Wandeling?
Nope.
The event was ON.
And almost immediately, this event felt completely different from the Mega Wandel Marathon.
It's difficult to explain exactly why, but somehow it felt much more like an
event.
The atmosphere felt more competitive and less inclusive.
Although I do have to admit something important here:
This time, I was completely alone.
And I'm not exactly the most confident person when it comes to large groups of people.
So having everybody start at the same time didn't exactly help with those nerves in the beginning.
But then you start walking.
And somehow... things begin to fall into place.

People spread out because everyone walks at a different pace. I could put on my own music, start moving and slowly settle into my own little world.
Or at least...
That was the plan.

Why Is Everyone Passing Me?! πŸ˜…

Usually, as soon as I start moving, I naturally fall into my own rhythm.
But we all know I'm not the fastest walker.
And having people continuously pass me started getting into my head more than I expected.

Am I going too slow?
Do I even belong here?

It made me feel like I was somehow doing it wrong.
And without really noticing it...
I started speeding up.
Not my smartest decision.
Especially considering the horrible heat.
And the combination of those two things made my confidence disappear remarkably quickly.
By the time I reached
kilometer 7, I was already struggling.
Big time.
My heart rate was way up.
My feet hurt.
My hips hurt for some reason.
And there were still...
13 kilometers to go.
Yeah.
Fantastic. πŸ˜‚

Just Get to the Next Stamp

But this is where I really appreciated the organization of this event.
At certain points along the route, you had to stop and collect a stamp. Usually, there was also something to eat or drink waiting for you.
And those stops helped
so much.
Instead of thinking:
I still have 13 km left...
It became:
Just get to the next stamp.
Then the next one.
And the next.
The snacks and cool drinks were also incredibly welcome in that heat.
It broke the route into smaller pieces and gave me something to work towards whenever the full 20 km started feeling a little overwhelming.

And apparently I've now discovered that my hiking process goes something like this:

We can do this! 😎

↓

WTF am I doing?

↓

I can't do this.

↓

Keep going.

↓

I'M FUCKING DOING THIS.

↓

Please let this end.πŸ˜‚

Pretty accurate, actually.

And Then... It Ended

And eventually...It did.

20 km. On. The. Dot.

No surprise bonus kilometers this time. πŸ˜‚
Another event under the shoes! πŸ₯Ύ

But even now, months later, I still have a strange feeling when I think back on this one.
Because I don't think I've quite figured out how I feel about it.
It was exhausting.
It hurt.
There were moments when my confidence completely disappeared and I genuinely wondered why the hell I was doing this.
But...

I still finished it.

Alone.
In horrible heat.

Even after struggling from kilometer 7 onwards, I kept putting one foot in front of the other until that watch finally showed 20 km.
And underneath all that exhaustion and discomfort...
There's definitely pride.
Maybe that's why this event has been so difficult to put into words.
It wasn't really a
“HELL YES, LOOK WHAT I DID!” feeling.
It was quieter than that.
More like...
That was horrible.
That hurt.
I did it anyway.

And somehow, months later, I'm still trying to decide exactly how I feel about that.
Have you ever had a hike or event like this?
One that you're proud you completed, but that somehow left you with a really strange mixture of emotions afterwards?
I'd love to hear about it.

Untill next time,
 
Happy Wandering! πŸ‘‹ 




Quick Stats:
πŸ…Ώ️ Starting point
πŸ“… 21-06-2026
πŸ“ 20.00 km
πŸ•’ 04h22m
πŸ‘£ 29722 steps
〽️ 23m
🚩 4.6 km/u
❤️ 178 bpm
technical
πŸ₯Ύ (1/5)
experience
πŸŽ’πŸŽ’πŸŽ’ (2/5)
Community links

πŸŽ™️ podcast
πŸ“Ή trail video
-----
πŸ“± komoot page
πŸ“Έ instagram
-----
πŸ₯Ύ GPX file
-----





No comments:

Post a Comment