Wednesday, October 1, 2025

New Adventure; the beginning #tl32

GR05 - the beginning 
#TravelLog 32 - GR05 NL to BE
 

The First Steps of a Long Journey: GR5 (E2) 🌊πŸ₯Ύ

Hello, fellow Wanderers! ✋
After venturing outside the Netherlands for my last few hikes, I decided this time to stay a little closer to home. While searching for a new adventure, I came across a long-distance trail called the GR5, also known as the E2 European walking route. The idea behind this trail is simple but ambitious: walk from the North Sea all the way to the Mediterranean Sea. 🌍

In total, the GR5 stretches for roughly 1,600 kilometers, winding its way through the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and France. Quite the journey!

Now, I’ll be honest—as always, I wasn’t overly excited about the Dutch section of the trail. Especially after hiking in Germany and neighboring countries, the landscapes here can feel a bit… underwhelming in comparison. Still, if I’m going to attempt such a legendary route, it only feels right to start at the very beginning.


Starting Where It All Begins 🌊

So, off to the start we went.
Officially, the GR5 begins in the small coastal town of Hoek van Holland, but I decided to add an extra 2.5 kilometers. After all, if the goal is to hike from sea to sea, then we start at the sea.

And what a phenomenal start it was. Standing on the beach, listening to the waves, I felt small and insignificant in the best possible way. The vastness of the sea always calms me—it grounds me. Honestly, I would love for every hike to begin this way.

After taking my time at the beach, it was time to head inland and truly begin this new journey. And if I’m being honest… this part didn’t impress me much. The weather certainly didn’t help; heavy fog limited the views and made everything feel a bit muted.

The trail does its best to guide you through parks and green spaces, but overall, it’s not a section I feel eager to repeat.

Practical Realities 🚢‍♀️πŸš†

Another challenge with this part of the trail is the limited public transportation. For now, that means I can only walk about 10 kilometers before needing to turn back and return to my starting point. Hopefully, later sections will offer better options, allowing me to hike 15–20 kilometer stretches and use public transport to get back to my car. Time will tell.

Despite the modest start, I’m genuinely excited about what this trail might bring in the future. This was only the first step of a very long journey—and every journey has to start somewhere.

Until next time—happy wandering! πŸ‘‹✨


 


 


 

 Quick Stats:

🏳 πŸ‡΅ hoek van Holland
πŸ“…01-10-2025
πŸ—’ 16.8 km
⏲4u49m
πŸ‘£27026 steps
α¨’ 33 m
⛿ 4.0 km/u
♡ 130 bpm
technical
πŸ‘Ÿ_ _ _ _ (1/5)
experience
πŸŽ’
_ _ _ _ (1/5)

 



-

No comments:

Post a Comment