Into the Valley: Hiking Along the Rur River π²π
Hello fellow Wanderers! ✋ My trip to Reichswald really reignited my love for hiking, and I couldn’t wait to set off on a new adventure. For now, I’m keeping my hikes to a maximum of 15 kilometers—unfortunately, that really feels like my limit at the moment, even though I dream of pushing beyond it. But limits aside, I was ready for something new. Using the Komoot app, I found the perfect next spot: another adventure in Germany! π©πͺ Crossing Borders (and Comfort Zones) ππ
Once again, I felt both thrilled and nervous about leaving the Netherlands. My anxiety even spiked during a very ordinary moment—stopping for gas. It seems like such a simple task, but my brain doesn’t work that way.
What if I pick the wrong fuel? What if someone insists on filling it for me? What if my card doesn’t work? All these “what ifs” swirled through my mind, making it hard to enjoy the ride.
But you know what? I did it anyway. And despite feeling anxious, I pushed through—and that makes me proud. πͺ The car ride itself was beautiful, passing through charming towns and rolling landscapes, and it got me even more hyped for what was ahead. The Trail Begins πΎπ³
The hike started out fairly calm, with long stretches through open farm fields. Pleasant, but nothing extraordinary. And then—bam—you enter a gorgeous forest, and suddenly it feels like a real adventure.
From here, the path offers stunning views over the valley and the Rur River. At one lookout point I just had to pause and soak it all in. Then the trail narrows and slowly descends into a picture-perfect little town. Honestly, this hike has everything: forests, views, rivers, and even urban charm.
If I walk this trail again, I’ll definitely take more time here. The town is full of cozy restaurants and shops—perfect for a break. This time I pressed on, but looking back, I think I should have slowed down and enjoyed it more. Compared to Reichswald, I felt a lot heavier and slower on this hike. Along the River π☀️
After leaving the town, you cross a bridge and finally get up close to the Rur River. At first, I thought this riverside path would be the highlight of the hike—the pictures looked amazing. And it is beautiful, but in hindsight, I personally preferred the forest sections.
That said, this stretch is a paradise for families and summer adventurers. You can swim, kayak, or just enjoy the refreshing views right by the water. For kids especially, it’s an awesome playground in nature.
The trail then follows the river for about 8 kilometers. At one point you cross another bridge, where you can choose: loop around the far end of the river, or skip the loop and start heading back. I took the loop, and honestly—it’s fine if you want to make extra kilometers, but you won’t miss much if you decide to skip it. The Brutal Climb π
⛰️
And then came the true challenge: the final kilometers. Oh. My. Gosh. It’s one long, relentless climb with no benches or resting spots along the way. I genuinely thought it might be too much for me. More than once, it brought me to tears—I felt like I wouldn’t make it. But quitting wasn’t an option. Step by step, shuffle by shuffle, I pushed through. And when I finally spotted my car at the end, I can’t even describe the relief and joy I felt. π Final Thoughts π
This hike was both beautiful and brutal. It offers variety—fields, forests, towns, rivers—and some truly magical moments. But be warned: the way back up is tough. It’s not for everyone, and it will test your endurance and willpower.
Was It Worth It? YES! ππ
Despite the brutal ending, this trail is unforgettable. It’s diverse, adventurous, and offers everything from farmland and forest to riverside paths and charming towns.
✨ What makes this trail special?
✔️ Stunning valley and river views.
✔️ A mix of scenery—fields, forests, towns, and water.
✔️ Plenty of adventure (and a summer playground for swimmers and kayakers).
✔️ A tough, rewarding finish that tests your grit.
⚠️ Be aware: The final climb is brutal. It’s not for everyone, and it will push you to your limits. Until next time— happy wandering! π✨ |
No comments:
Post a Comment